Dirty Little Secret #8

by 9:03 AM 12 comments
Dirty Little Secret is a weekly meme hosted byUnder the Covers. Every Thursday we get to know other bloggers & our readers more intimately by asking them questions, hoping to reveal their dirty little secrets.

Share your experiences with blogging! List Two "Don't" and One "Do" when it comes to blogging and reviewing.

Don't:

Don't accept reviews from any 'ole author! I made that mistake when I first started out and let me just tell you, it sucked so bad! I was reading books I disliked which made me want to slowly and painfully pluck my eyes out from my skull! I just remember getting so excited when someone would ask if I'd review their book, it's like, "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" But still, calm yourself and only accept to review a book YOU LIKE!

Don't be antisocial and impersonal on your blog! I can tell you from personal experiences that some of my favorite blogs to read are the ones that share the most about themselves! I love when someone is on their blog sharing fun photos or complaining about school or something I could relate to! I understand that some just want to be strictly book blogs but hey, that's no fun! Join some memes or something and have fun!

Do:

Do socialize as much as you can! Whether you want to admit it or not, socializing is really the only way to gain followers and viewers. When I started out, I was so timid and afraid to ask other fellow bloggers for help about something really simple which is understandable but now *shrugs*. I've become a lot more comfortable with that and that's only because I socialize more. I've come in contact with a lot more bloggers so of course I'm more comfortable talking to them... and my blog status isn't hurting either. Also, don't be afraid to ask me for help about anything, I'm a friendly person, promise :)

Carmen Shaw

Developer

Carmen N. Shaw is currently a biology major at Georgia State University. She is the owner and developer of the book blog, Understanding Carmen's Story.

12 comments:

  1. Great points. I agree with you: socializing is such a great things about blogging. Most of my 'offline' friends aren't avid readers like myself, so it's great to be able to talk books!

    Vix @ ttoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on everything.

    On review requests: I was like too when our blog was just starting, accepting random review requests for the sake of more following and publicity. I read an anthology that truly sucked and the author didn't even help with the review/giveaway promotion!

    Talk Supe DLS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantasic answers, Shae! You said it all!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your answers. I was guilty of accepting all books that came my way when I first started. Now I'm a bit more picky. I LOVE twitter for socializing. I am on there all the time talking with fellow bloggers and authors and there always seems to be some sort of #chat going on once a week.
    Book Sniffers Anonysmous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I learned the hard way to only accept books that I am very interested in reading and always ask for a writing sample first. Ugh, the hours I have wasted on unedited, incoherent manuscripts that read like rough drafts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I remember when I first started out I read every single book an author asked me to review, and it was TORTURE. :D
    Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree! I need to be better about reaching out lol. And I'm now very picky about what books I accept for review. No more agonizing to say nice things about a book I really disliked! Thanks for stopping by mine!

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all of your answers! Great DLS, I laughed @ "I am not worthy!!" lmbo.. I bet now you're all "NOOOOO!! You're not worthy!!!" lol kidding. *keeps in mind to ask you questions... be prepared for my ever flowing river of questions ;)*

    Following you back :) Beautiful blog BTW.

    Ana♥ @ Beach Bum Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Answers! Definitely something to keep in mind since I'm a (sort of) new blogger :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice! I very much agree with the first Don't. I used to feel the same way when I got asked by authors to review their books. I was so excited and felt very humbled, but then I was riddled with guilt when I ended up not liking their book. It's a tough situation that I have remidied by doing my research first. Amazon often offers free previews of their books online. You can get an idea if the style of writing and content is right for you this way and avoid that awkward situation when you find out you just can't get into it.

    Thanks for stopping by Wickedly Bookish!

    <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the idea of being more personal on the blogs. We don't get too personal on Read Between The Lines, but that sounds like something really cool to do. Great DLS!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it makes me smile! So go on and make my day by commenting :)