Review + Excerpt: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

by 12:57 AM 1 comments

When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

Overall Thoughts:
Finished in one sitting! I was so absorbed in this book and was glad to see some of the old characters I was fond of in Perfect Chemistry reappear in this book!

Rules of Attraction follows Carlos Fuentes, who (If you read Perfect Chemistry...) know is Alex Fuentes's younger brother. We get to see a slightly older Carlos this time around, as he's no longer 15 years old but 17 and is in his senior year in high school. The story starts out with Carlos moving from Mexico to Colorado to stay with his older brother, Alex. He's got that Fuentes fire in him because he's definitely not happy about the move and makes that very obvious.

On his first day, he runs into a kind yet nervous girl named Kiara Westford who becomes his peer guide. The two start off very shaky, seeing as Carlos gives her an attitude because he really doesn't want to be there but Kiara doesn't necessarily take his crap lying down and Carlos actually likes that. Then one day, the police search the school for a monthly drug inspection and find tons of it in Carlos's locker. The only thing is... it wasn't his. Someone's framing him, and now Carlos has made it his mission to find out who, and get revenge.

What I liked about this book:

I liked that they kind of stuck with the same theme as Alex's story, even though that made it pretty predictable. I didn't care, I loved reading it just the same. But there were also many differences; Carlos's story had a couple more edgy twists to it, which I enjoyed!

Also, my Spanish vocabulary has definitely expanded because of this series :)

What I disliked about this story:

Best cover of the trilogy!
Like I said, there was an "issue" of predictability but I didn't mind.

Verdict:

Read it!

Chain Reaction is the next and final book in this trilogy and because I have no life, I'm going to start on it now! Sad, but true.



4 TARGETS!



Excerpt:

"Well, I guess now is a good time to go over house rules." My temporary guardian settles into the chair by the desk.

"Rules?" A feeling of dread washes over me.

"Don't worry, I only have a few. But I do expect them to be followed. First off, no drugs or alcohol. As you already know, marijuana isn't hard to find in this city, but you have to stay clean per court order. Second, no profanity. I have a six-year-old who is very impressionable, and I don't need him hearing cuss words. Third, curfew on weekdays is midnight, on weekends it's two. Fourth, you're expected to clean up after yourself and help around the house when asked, just like our own children. Fifth, there's no TV unless you're done with homework. Sixth, if you bring a girl up to your room you must keep the door open . . . for obvious reasons." He rubs his chin, seemingly searching for more rules to spout. "I think that's it. Any questions?"

"Yeah, one." I shove my hands in my pockets, wondering how long it'll take for Professor Dick to realize I'm antirules. Of any kind. "What happens when I break one of your fuckin' rules?"

Carmen Shaw

Developer

Carmen N. Shaw is currently a biology major at Georgia State University. She is the owner and developer of the book blog, Understanding Carmen's Story.

1 comment:

  1. Omg I've been meaning to read this series for EVERZ!! I have to try it it sounds like something I would like for sure!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it makes me smile! So go on and make my day by commenting :)