ARC Review: Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

by 2:39 PM 1 comments
This electrifying new trilogy blends the best of paranormal and dystopian storytelling in a world where the war is over. And the vampires won.

Humans huddle in their walled cities, supplying blood in exchange for safety. But not even that is guaranteed. Dawn has lost her entire family and now reluctantly serves as the delegate to Lord Valentine, the most powerful vampire for miles. It isn’t until she meets Victor, Valentine’s son, that she realizes not all vampires are monsters....

Darkness Before Dawn is a fresh new story with captivating characters, unexpected plot twists, a fascinating setting, and a compelling voice. Written under the name J. A. London by a talented mother-son team, the trilogy is perfect for fans of True Blood and the House of Night and Morganville Vampires series.

Overall Thoughts:
I definitely agree with the summary! This book was the perfect blend of my favorite vampire stories, including: Twilight, Vampire Academy, and House of Night! I definitely recommend this book if you liked any of those series!

Darkness Before Dawn is about 17 year old human named Dawn Montgomery, who is the city of Denver's appointed delegate to Lord Valentine, the most ferocious, unforgiving, and powerful vampire around. Both of Dawn's parents were the delegates before her until they "accidentally" died in a carriage crash. Even though Dawn's parents held the position before her, being delegate was not something you could inherit. Lord Valentine chose her specifically...

Because Dawn's parents died working for the most rueful vampire ever and Brady, her older brother, died at the hands of vampires, she could never bring herself to trust them. That is, until she's saved by a mysterious and kind man named Victor. The two become close until Dawn discovers that he is none other than Lord Valentine's son.

What I liked about this book:
Honestly, this book lured me in from the very beginning! I loved the fact that there were different types of vampires:

Old Families Vampires - The wealthiest, most powerful, and strongest of the vampires
Natural Born Vampires - self explanatory
Lessers - Humans turned into vampires, below Old Families vampires and natural born vampires

There were twists, turns, and I was definitely whip-lashed by the end of it, which is a good thing. The main character, Dawn, was someone I could look up to! Instead of Dawn being all weak-kneed like most main characters are in human/vampire romances, she was strong and bold, and did not give into Victor's charms that easily. In fact, he was the one who couldn't stay away from her! That's Girl power for you!

What I disliked about this book:
The high points of the book weren't as dramatic and touched on as I would've liked. I'm not going to describe any of the climaxes because I don't want to give anything away, but I wanted the authors to give more details, go more into depth, just embellish it more! Still loved it though :)

Verdict:
Any lover of vampire stories, or dystopian novels, or whip-lashing action should definitely give this book a shot!

4 TARGETS!

Carmen Shaw

Developer

Carmen N. Shaw is currently a biology major at Georgia State University. She is the owner and developer of the book blog, Understanding Carmen's Story.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your review! I have an ARC of this on my shelf as well and I can't wait to read it now! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it makes me smile! So go on and make my day by commenting :)