Review + Excerpt: Bitten by Dan O'brien

by 10:27 PM 0 comments

A predator stalks a cold northern Minnesotan town. There is talk of wolves walking on two legs and attacking people in the deep woods. Lauren Westlake, resourceful and determined F.B.I Agent, has found a connection between the strange murders in the north and a case file almost a hundred years old. Traveling to the cold north, she begins an investigation that spirals deep into the darkness of mythology and nightmares. Filled with creatures of the night and an ancient romance, the revelation of who hunts beneath the moon is more grisly than anyone could have imagined.

Overall Thoughts:
If you are squeamish, I don't recommend it for you because this book is not for the faint-hearted. But if you're game, it can be an intriguing read. I love mystery stories!

Bitten is a total werewolf story, which is why I was interested in it in the first place, I will admit. It's about a lady named Lauren Westlake, who's a serious F.B.I Agent. She goes to Locke, a small town in Minnesota because there had been a few suspicious deaths that happened, and it's her job to solve the mystery and find out who is behind all the mayhem.

Then enters Dominic. He is polite, old-fashioned, and of course, attractive! Lauren, though she's in love with her job, starts to fall for him as well. But, here's the catch: Dominic seems to be the solution to all her problems... Take from that, what you will!

This book is a bit graphic in places, so if you're touchy about that then maybe this book isn't for you.

What I liked about this book:
The plot was incredibly unique. I haven't ever read a story like this before, and I love when I can't guess the plot. Also, this book was graphic, but I actually liked that. It was very raw, and unforgiving, and harsh; and it was nice that it wasn't sugar-coated.

What I didn't like about this book:
It took me a while to get through it. There were times when it was so interesting, and action-packed, and I couldn't put it down, but then it would slow down dramatically, and I could. So the pacing wasn't very constant, and I found that a bit of a turn off.

Verdict:
The uniqueness of this book is what kept me interested in it. I enjoyed it the first time, but I don't think that it's the kind of book that you can re-read over and over again.

3 TARGETS!


Excerpt:

His footfalls were not careful or deliberate, but haphazard. He fell, colliding through a plate glass window that was suspended by heavy straps. Bouncing off, the glass exploded into tens of thousands of pieces held together by a purple gel, nearly translucent even in the darkness. Like molasses oozing down a tree, the glass wobbled and slunk down the frame. The creature was on his feet in a few shuffling, stumbling steps and then back into the darkness once more.

Lauren fired a shot into the dark.

There was a heavy sound of impact.
Page: 258

Carmen Shaw

Developer

Carmen N. Shaw is currently a biology major at Georgia State University. She is the owner and developer of the book blog, Understanding Carmen's Story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment, it makes me smile! So go on and make my day by commenting :)