Review + Excerpt: Scary School by Derek the Ghost

by 8:35 PM 1 comments

You think your school's scary?
Get a load of these teachers:
"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the looseThe world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch
And
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost

Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky.
Overall Thoughts:
This book was extremely funny!

Scary School is a middle grade read, told by an 11 year old ghost named Derek the Ghost, who used to go to Scary School until he died... but in a kid-friendly way. He talks about what goes on in Scary School, in a silly, comical manner.

The school is named Scary School for a reason, it's scary! It's filled with werewolves, vampires, zombies, giants, and even humans. There's: Ms. Fang (the vampire teacher with one fang), Principal Headcrusher (lady with super strong, big hands), Petunia (the pretty purple girl on the cover), Charles Nukid (the awkward-looking fellow sitting next to her), and a whole bunch others. My favorite was Penny Possum though. She was a scared mute kid, who played dead whenever she was in the spotlight, and she finally found her voice by the end of the book.

What I liked about this book:
Penny Possum
The characters were so crazy! In a good way! There were so many of them, and each chapter described a different person's personal stories in a witty way. I also loved the doodles drawn on random pages of the book, sometimes of the characters themselves and sometimes of the setting. That made me feel like I was actually inside of the book, living it!

What I didn't like about this book:
Scary School doesn't exist :( Well, even if it did, I don't know if I'd want to attend, its a bit extreme there. When kids die in Scary School, it's not a big deal. People go on like its nothing... how extreme!

Verdict:
I definitely recommend this book to anyone- not just middle graders -looking for a good, genuine chuckle! This book reminded me of The Sideways Stories from Wayside School series by Louis Sachar. I read that series in the 3rd grade and loved it!


5 TARGETS!


Excerpt:

I suppose the proper way to start an introduction is with an introduction, so . . . Hello! My name is Derek the Ghost. What's yours? I know you probably didn't say your name out loud just now, but I read your mind, and I want you to know that I think you have a fantastic name.

How did I read your mind? Let me tell you.

Last year, when I was just eleven years old, I died in science class.

Page: XII

Carmen Shaw

Developer

Carmen N. Shaw is currently a biology major at Georgia State University. She is the owner and developer of the book blog, Understanding Carmen's Story.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. My younger brother would absolutely love this book.

    You've been tagged! Read the rules here http://teenagefeelin.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/tagged.html

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it makes me smile! So go on and make my day by commenting :)